top of page

Counsellors at Nuway

Some of the counsellors at Nuway Counselling are Registered Social Workers (RSW) and they are members of the British Columbia College of Social Workers (BCCSW). Do you know what this means?

R.S.W. - Registered Social Worker

What is R.S.W.?

A registered social worker is a professional who has earned a master's degree in social work and has extensive knowledge about mental health. R.S.W. must be registered with and regulated by the The British Columbia College of Social Workers (BCCSW)

What does it mean?

Some of the counsellors at Nuway Counselling are R.S.W., which means that their ethics and standards of practice are compliant with the BCCSW. Registered Social Workers hold utmost professionalism to ensure client’s benefits and protect confidential information.

How to become an R.S.W.?

The counsellor needs to complete an accredited social work program at a accredited university to receive their master's degree in social work (MSW). The counsellor must also satisfy all the requirements obtain a membership in the BCCSW.

Differences between a R.S.W. vs Psychologist

  • Similar to Registered Clinical Counsellors, Registered Social Workers have a minimum of a Master’s Degree, while Psychologists have a Doctor’s Degree 

  • Psychologists can provide a diagnosis and assessment for mental health concerns while R.C.C. and R.S.W. cannot 

  • Counselling services provided by both R.C.C., R.S.W., and Psychologists are not covered by MSP, but they may be covered by private insurance plans

BCCSW – BC College of Social Workers

What is BCCSW?

The BC College of Social Workers (BCCSW) is an organization that regulates Registered Social Workers to ensure their practice is in accordance with the guidelines of social work in British Columbia. The BCCSW also handles complaints against registered social workers seriously and investigates any claims to ensure the safety and benefits of clients. 

What does it mean?

Seeing a counsellor who is a member of the BCCSW means that the counsellor’s codes of conduct and standards of practice match the expectations of the BCCSW. Anyone with concerns regarding counsellors that are registered social workers can submit complaints to the BCCSW. People who want to ensure that their counsellors are registered social workers can also verify their counsellors' membership with the BCCSW. Also, people who are interested in seeing a counsellor can use the BCCSW to find a registered social worker. 

How to become a member of BCCSW?

To become a member of BCCSW, the counsellor needs to have a master’s degree in social work from an accredited institution and receive clinical supervision during their training. After the counsellors complete their master's degree in social work and practicum, they will need to submit an application to join the BCCSW. An example of the application process can include completing criminal record checks, completing specific exams, and providing required documents. 

Meet Our Registered Social Workers

Zafreen Idoo (B.C. Registered Social Worker #15614)

Zafreen enjoys working with children, couples, parents, young adults, and families. She has extensive experience in working with individuals struggling with anxiety, depression, stress, trauma, PTSD, relationship, and family conflicts. She strives to create a safe space for her clients and to support them in problem-solving, creating healthy boundaries, and developing healthy routines and lifestyles.

Zinat Sajadi (B.C. Registered Social Worker #10131)

Zinat enjoys working with families and parents by assisting them in relationship or marital problems, separation, and co-parenting conflicts. She

has many years of experiences in helping clients with relational, communication, and parenting concerns. She aims to support her clients with anxiety, depression, grief, stress management, emotion regulation, anger management, and trauma. She aims to utilize strategies and techniques that works best for each client based on each client's feedbacks.


  • British Columbia College of Social Workers (

  • What is Social Work? | Canadian Association of Social Workers (

  • Careers in social work - University of Victoria (

bottom of page